Part 10 - Fix it!
Finally, it's time to boot the Vista Recovery Disc and start fixing your machine. :-)
If you have a wireless keyboard, make sure it has fresh batteries/charge, or switch to a wired keyboard if you are having issues.
- Turn on the computer if it isn't already
- The computer should boot to the USB flash drive with the Vista Recovery Disc on it.
- Press any key except the Spacebar at the prompt as it says.
- Some files will load. (some very old machines may take up to 25 minutes to load!)
- You'll be brought to a colorful screen with a cursor. [If you get any strange errors at this point, please shut down your machine by holding down the power button for at least 5 seconds and try booting it up with the disc again.]
- Wait (at most 5-10 minutes on very old systems) until a window appears.
- After the window appears, click Next.
- Click Repair your computer on the bottom left.
- Click Next on the small window that appears. (Don't worry about it not detecting XP.)
- Click Command Prompt on the window that appears.
- Try typing D:\saveme, E:\saveme, F:\saveme, G:\saveme or H:\saveme to start up the recovery process.
- Follow the directions in the Command Prompt window.
Yes!: Please go on to the next page! :-)
Still No!: Please contact me. (see the first page)