Part 7 - Run the Discs!
Finally, it's time to boot the Vista Recovery Disc and start fixing your machine. :-)
If you have a wireless keyboard, make sure it has fresh batteries/charge, or switch to a wired keyboard if you are having issues.
- Turn on the computer if it isn't already
- The Vista Recovery Disc should spin up and boot.
- Press any key except the Spacebar at the prompt as it says.
- Some files will load. (some very old machines may take up to 25 minutes to load!)
- You'll be brought to a colorful screen with a cursor.
[If you get any strange errors at this point, please shut down your machine by holding down the power button for at least 5 seconds and try booting it up with the disc again.]
- If you have tried booting the Vista Recovery Disc many times and are still having issues, please see here for troubleshooting the Vista Recovery Disc.
- Wait (at most 5-10 minutes on very old systems) until a window appears.
- After the window appears, click Next.
- Click Repair your computer on the bottom left.
- Click Next on the small window that appears. (Don't worry about it not detecting XP.)
- Click Command Prompt on the window that appears.
- If you are still having issues, please see here for troubleshooting the Vista Recovery Disc.
- Take the Vista Recovery Disc CD/DVD out and put the Save Me v1.55.0 CD/DVD in your CD/DVD drive.
- Try typing D:\saveme, E:\saveme, F:\saveme, G:\saveme or H:\saveme to start up the recovery process.
- If you are having issues running the SaveMe program, please see here for troubleshooting the SaveMe program.
- Follow the directions in the Command Prompt window.
Yes!: Please go on to the next page! :-)
Still No!: Please contact me. (see the first page)