Part 7 - USB - Prepping the first USB flash drive
OK, so you've got two normal BLANK USB flash drives now, right? Let's start getting the data we need to help repair your computer!
THIS PAGE REQUIRES YOU TO DOWNLOAD A DECENT AMOUNT OF DATA. (120MB) IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION, THEN YOU MAY WANT TO GO TO A PLACE WHERE THERE IS ONE AVAILABLE, LIKE A FRIEND'S HOUSE OR A STARBUCKS.
"Vista Recovery Disc?" you're thinking, "but I'm running Windows XP!" Believe me, I know this. We're simply going to use the facilities that the Vista Recovery Disc provides to help repair your XP installation. For those of you with advanced computer knowledge, you NEED this CD! You CANNOT use the Windows XP Recovery Console!
Now, onto the prepping!
- Make sure that only the first USB flash drive is in your computer
- Next, Download this file. (Save it, do not open it.)
- Run HPUSBDisk.exe (one of the files you just saved)
- If you get an error along the lines of Permission Denied, you need to right-click on the file and select "Run as administrator"
- Once the program is open:
- Select your USB flash drive at the top
- Select FAT32 as the file system
- Don't give it a volume label
- Do select "Quick Format"
- Don't select "Create a DOS startup disk"
- Once all is right, click Start at the bottom of the window
- After it's complete, close the window
- You need to download another file. (Save it, do not open it.) Please choose a site below:
- Lastly, Download this file. (Save it, do not open it.)
- Run BootMyISO-v0.2.exe (one of the files you just saved) to make your USB flash drive bootable
- Copy the Vista Recovery Disc .iso file you just downloaded onto the USB flash drive that you just formatted with that program above.
- Right-click this link. (Save it, do not open it.)
- Copy the menu.lst onto the USB flash drive that you just formatted. It will ask to overwrite the file. Select Yes.
Once you are done these directions, then Safely Remove the USB flash drive and put it aside. Whew! One of your tools is ready. Click here to continue the guide.